Topeka Public Schools USD 501

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Password Information

Diploma/Graduation Information

How do I get my username and password for PowerSchool?
If you are a TPS student or parent of a TPS student, and if you've never used the PowerSchool system before, you should go to your school's office (the school where your child is enrolled) to request a username and password for the PowerSchool system. You'll need to show photo identification. If you have children in more than one of our schools, you will need to make this request at each school so that your information can be verified, and you can gain access to our information about each of your children.

Note that if your child reaches age 18 prior to graduation, you will lose online access to that child's information unless the 18 year old child submits a form (available at his/her school) that allows your continued access to their records.

If you have further questions about access to student information online, please click here for instructions, or contact your student's school.

How do I retrieve my lost username and/or password?
Parents/Students Using PowerSchool:
Your student's school has access to individual usernames/passwords. For security reasons, you may be required to request this information in person. If you have any questions, please call your school.

Staff Using the Profile or the Portal:
If you've lost or forgotten your username and/or password for access to your Staff Profile or the Staff Portal, please contact the IT Help Desk at 438-4750 or by email at They should be able to help you retrieve your username and reset your password, if necessary.

How do I reset my password?
Parents/Students Using PowerSchool:
Please complete and submit a Password Change Request Form. If you have any questions, please contact your school.

Staff Using the Profile or the Portal:
If you need to change your password (and you already know your current username and password):
  • Log in to the Portal.
  • Hover over the "Account Mgmt" tab at the top of the page, and a menu will drop down.
  • Click on "Change Password" in the drop down menu.
  • Complete the form, and click the "Change Password" button.

How do I retrieve my username and/or password for SmartFindExpress?
If you are having trouble retrieving your username and/or password information from the SmartFindExpress system, please contact Substitute Services between 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Monday-Friday:
Substitute Services
624 SW 24th Street
Topeka, KS 66611
Phone: 785-295-3098
Phone: 785-295-3032
FAX: 785-438-5980

How do I get a copy of my diploma?
We can provide copies of transcripts but not diplomas. The transcript is accepted by most educational institutes and employers as proof of graduation. Official transcripts (sealed and embossed) are $3.00 per copy. To receive a copy of your transcript, complete the Transcript Request Form and mail it with your payment to the address provided on the form.

How do I get a copy of my GED?
We do not have GED information. For GED information, call or write to:
Kansas Board of Regents
State GED Testing Office
1000 SW Jackson St., Ste. 520
Topeka, KS 66612-1368

I am an employer. How do I verify the graduation status of a USD 501 student?
You will need to submit your request of graduation verification in writing on company letterhead. Please include all demographic information about the former student and send your request to:
Topeka Public Schools
Demographic Services
624 SW 24th Street
Topeka, KS 66611
785-575-6868 (FAX)